Archive for the ‘All Repair Projects’ Category
The replacement globe was very large and had a cut glass design. We used the old broken glass globe to make a mold used in bending the glass replacement.
The replacement convex glass was frosted and the cut glass design was drawn on it.
The design is cut in the glass using stones and hand polished.
The second largest chandelier in the world was in need of three replacement bobeches. I have made a lot of crystal bobeches over the years but not as large as these. They sent me a broken bobeche with a part missing. I made a mold and cast it in plaster to fill in the part the was missing.
I made the blanks .
Crystal bobeche twelve inch diameter
Drilled the 24 holes and added pins.
The first step was to remove what was left of the mane.
Grind and polish area smooth.
Create the new glass mane.
Attach the new glass mane to the Italian sculpture.
The sculpture is ready to be displayed.
The old glass was repaired so it could be use to cast a high temperature mold . The mold and an old piece of glass went into a kiln to form a glass blank.
The blank was cut to size , beveled and the dimple was ground and polished. The dimple is use to add additional clearance for the center stem.
I hope to update the post with a picture of the restored clock. I have made many lens for old clocks but this is the first one with a additional polished bent and dimple.
The classic Steuben Crystal tear drop candlestick had a broken foot and was in need of restoration. I made a new foot .
The stopper was in bad shape . It was broken in three places and there were some pieces missing. I needed to add a pieces of glass to get the right height. The decanter is a beautiful cobalt blue cut to clear . The plug of the stopper was broken off. That is the part that is ground to fit the neck of the decanter.
Broken stopper with missing pieces
Added cut glass piece to the middle and a new plug.
Ground and fit the new plug to fit the neck of the decanter.
The antique decanter had a large chip and a crack running down and across the neck. Over the years the large chip that can off was lost. The crystal decanter was also cloudy on the inside from decades of use. The stopper was missing also. The fist challenge was to stop the crack from traveling any farther.
Old broken neck and the new one .
Copper wheel engraving
Repaired decanter with new neck
Making new stopper
Cut ten facets in new stopper to match decanter
The old crystal pitcher has been in the family for many years. It has served many cold drinks at grandmas house. The sentimental value is the motivation for the repair. A crack has run from the top down the left side of the handle almost to the bottom. The plan is to run the crack around the bottom of the handle and up the right side of the handle to the top. Controlling the path the crack takes is critical. I have spend years refining this skill.
It is ready to be used. The adhesive makes most of crack go away. Look close and you can see a little of the crack.
The crystal candelabra was broken and the pieces were missing.
Cue out the chipped part.
Fit in new piece off glass.
Cut in design and polish
Its not perfect but when it is back on the candelabra with the prisms installed you won’t be able to see the repair.
The broken globe was sent from Arizona . The contractor broke three globes on the job site while restoring and old court house. I knew I could make the new globes but matching the design on the globe was going to be the challenge.