These wine glasses were sent from Italy for restoration. They survived two world wars and succumb to a family move. They hold many memories and toasted many events .
Luckily the bowls were not damaged . They were in need of a stem and foot transplant.
Draw pattern of stem to maintain correct height.
The crystal lamp was broken and the base has a large chip . The solution was to reshape the base .
Grind and polish glass chip.
A very old and beautiful decanter had a crack in it , was stained and part of the stopper was missing. The antique decanter with a silver collar had a locking stopper. That was a first for me . I have never seen a decanter like this.
The crack was running down from the neck so very carefully I turned the crack and made it run back up to the top. After removing the silver collar the broken piece was removed and the stains ( sick glass) were polish out .
Reinstall silver collar note key in lock.
Repair stopped by making new plug and grind and polish to fit decanter neck.
The old glass was repaired so it could be use to cast a high temperature mold . The mold and an old piece of glass went into a kiln to form a glass blank.
The blank was cut to size , beveled and the dimple was ground and polished. The dimple is use to add additional clearance for the center stem.
I hope to update the post with a picture of the restored clock. I have made many lens for old clocks but this is the first one with a additional polished bent and dimple.
The stopper was in bad shape . It was broken in three places and there were some pieces missing. I needed to add a pieces of glass to get the right height. The decanter is a beautiful cobalt blue cut to clear . The plug of the stopper was broken off. That is the part that is ground to fit the neck of the decanter.
Broken stopper with missing pieces
Added cut glass piece to the middle and a new plug.
Ground and fit the new plug to fit the neck of the decanter.
The antique decanter had a large chip and a crack running down and across the neck. Over the years the large chip that can off was lost. The crystal decanter was also cloudy on the inside from decades of use. The stopper was missing also. The fist challenge was to stop the crack from traveling any farther.
Old broken neck and the new one .
Copper wheel engraving
Repaired decanter with new neck
Making new stopper
Cut ten facets in new stopper to match decanter
The old crystal pitcher has been in the family for many years. It has served many cold drinks at grandmas house. The sentimental value is the motivation for the repair. A crack has run from the top down the left side of the handle almost to the bottom. The plan is to run the crack around the bottom of the handle and up the right side of the handle to the top. Controlling the path the crack takes is critical. I have spend years refining this skill.
It is ready to be used. The adhesive makes most of crack go away. Look close and you can see a little of the crack.
The crystal candelabra was broken and the pieces were missing.
Cue out the chipped part.
Fit in new piece off glass.
Cut in design and polish
Its not perfect but when it is back on the candelabra with the prisms installed you won’t be able to see the repair.
The family toasting glass was broken were the stem meets the foot. The very ornate Venetian wine glass has been in the family for generations.
Antique glass paper weight with scratches in need of repair.
First step smooth out scratches with fine grit.