Archive for the ‘Antique lamp repair’ Category
I was send a broken crystal bobeche from an antique chandelier. The antique glass bobeche was broken in many pieces and a couple of large pieces were missing. I cut off the part that was not broken . I used a crystal bowl with the same design as the original bobeche to recreate the broken and missing portion. I needed to drill a large hole in the center and many small holes around the rim
I cut off the good part of the old bobeche and ground the bottom of the new bowl flat.
I drill the holes for the prism pins.
The movers packed the chandelier like they always do ” wrong”. They hung the chandelier in box fully assembled . You must take the arms off a chandelier before shipping. I have repaired hundreds of arms .
The antique glass chandelier arm will be as strong as new after it is repaired . When photographed on black you can see the repair if you look close . When installed back on the chandelier the repair will be very hard to find.
This repair could have been avoided if the mover had removed the arms before shipping. Never ship a chandelier with the crystal arms attached.
The restoration of the old home included vintage light fixtures. The rust iron fixture had a couple of bent glass panels missing. The glass was a seedy glass. Seedy glass has a lot of bubbles and texture. Using a good panel I made a mold for bending the replacement curved glass.
Custom bent seedy glass panels for antique iron light. The glass was a Kokomo Seedy Glass
This antique crystal bobeche is from a late 1700’s early 1800’s candelabra that was electrified. I needed to make two replacement bobeches . The first step is to make the glass blanks.
Rough cutting the shape is next.
Using smoothing stones the glass is given a 400 to 600 grit finish and ready for polishing.
The replacement crystal bobeches are marked for drilling the holes.
I also made replacement arms for this chandelier shown in the picture. I will post picture showing the process I use to duplicate the solid crystal arms.
The Waterford crystal lamp was sent to me from Pennsylvania for repair. The base of he lamp was broken off and they didn’t have all the pieces . There was a crack a running up the bottom and I had to carefully control the crack and turn it so it ran back to the bottom. I didn’t want the crack to run up to the top of the lamp.
I looked and found a Waterford Crystal bowl to make the new base out of.
Cut off broken parts from the bottom of the lamp.
I loop the crack back down and remove piece so it can be repaired. The lamp is stable now by controlling the crack we minimized its in-pack. Little cracks only stay little for awhile.
Smooth and polish the parts for reassembly .
Using a Waterford Crystal bowl I made a new base for the lamp complete with Waterford logo.
Drill a large hole in the bowl.
Two slip shades were broken during a remodeling project . One shade was broken into about ten pieces and one was broken into hundreds of pieces . I repaired one shade and reproduced one shade . Using a good shade as a form I cast a mold to make a new glass deco shade.
High temperature plaster and silica mold for make new glass shade.
Making bent glass replacement panels for antique slag lamps is just a small part of what we do.
We bend opalescent flat glass over a form in the kiln to make replacement panels. Most of the bent glass shades were made out of Wissmach or Kokomo Glass.
Repairing broken crystal parts for chandeliers is cost effective . This antique crystal part from a chandelier was broken and a replacement was not available . I made a new top piece to replace the broken part and used the bottom part that was still good.
Cut off damaged part and make new replacement piece.
This small mirror with a scalloped edges
and satin v grooves goes to an antique wall scone . Sent to me from a light restoration company on the east cost , they need a duplicate mirror .
I was told they go in silver wall sconces . I will post pictures of the restored lights if and when I receive them.
The painter broke the globe. The cut glass globe goes to a antique ceiling fixture. It came in as a basket case. I taped it together to see if we had all the pieces.
The adhesive is stronger than glass . After repairing the globe I frosted the glass to remove all of the glue and hide the repair.