These wine glasses were sent from Italy for restoration. They survived two world wars and succumb to a family move. They hold many memories and toasted many events .
Luckily the bowls were not damaged . They were in need of a stem and foot transplant.
Draw pattern of stem to maintain correct height.
This verrrrry old crystal candlestick net its demise like many candle holders . The candle was allowed to burn down and the flame crack the crystal candle cup. This one of the finest cut glass pieces I have had the pleasure to restore.
The antique crystal chandelier was in disrepair. One of the crystal spires was broken. We cast a mold using one of the old prisms as a pattern . First a rough cast is make of crystal . Then the casting is ground and polish . Then the brass feral from the old broken prism is attached .
A high temp ceramic mold is made .
The mold is then filled with crystal and place in a kiln for annealing.
The rough casting is made smooth using #100 # 200 and #400 grit smoothing stones.
The crystal is hand polished using a cork wheel with pumis and the final step is a felt wheel with cerium oxide.
The brass feral was remove from the old broken prism and installed on the new replacement.
The antique crystal chandelier is back to its original glory.
Changing the light bulb was traumatic for the antique glass shade. It fell and the majority of the panels were broken.
Most of the top pieces were broken and some of the bottom pieces. The top pieces were the most difficult to fit.
The beveled glass lens in the antique barometer was cracked. The tolerances are very tight fitting the glass in the brass bezel. The glass is friction fit . It is not glued in .
The crystal lamp was broken and the base has a large chip . The solution was to reshape the base .
Grind and polish glass chip.
The windows have been broken for years . You can’t go to the corner hardware store to get replacement glass for your century home. Old glass is not sand blasted. It was frosted by hand using an abrasive and rubbing it on the glass
The Victorian home was being restored and two of the window by the front door were broken . I used old glass that has a wavy surface , some pits and small bubbles. The glass lath I used to cut the design is older than the windows.
The first step was to remove what was left of the mane.
Grind and polish area smooth.
Create the new glass mane.
Attach the new glass mane to the Italian sculpture.
The sculpture is ready to be displayed.
The stopper was in bad shape . It was broken in three places and there were some pieces missing. I needed to add a pieces of glass to get the right height. The decanter is a beautiful cobalt blue cut to clear . The plug of the stopper was broken off. That is the part that is ground to fit the neck of the decanter.
Broken stopper with missing pieces
Added cut glass piece to the middle and a new plug.
Ground and fit the new plug to fit the neck of the decanter.
The antique decanter had a large chip and a crack running down and across the neck. Over the years the large chip that can off was lost. The crystal decanter was also cloudy on the inside from decades of use. The stopper was missing also. The fist challenge was to stop the crack from traveling any farther.
Old broken neck and the new one .
Copper wheel engraving
Repaired decanter with new neck
Making new stopper
Cut ten facets in new stopper to match decanter